Friday, May 18, 2012

The tender loving secret of Olympe and Louis (XVI), Act I : "Zamor and Mirza"'s happy end !


by Jean-Jacques COURTEY, Doctor in Economic Geography, Ph. D
_________________________

Two years ago, we wrote already several times in French about Olympe de Gouges (1755-1793) and Louis XVI (1754-1793), to unveil historically their tender loving story, on this blog. But this time, we want to go further and give still more precise details in the form of a movie (or play) scenario.

Scene I : Olympe is arrested on stage at "La Comédie Française"

We are in september 1785 in Paris. Olympe, who is a theater actress, is ready to enter the stage of La Comédie Française for her controversial play against slavery : "Zamor and Mirza or the happy shipwreck".
It was already the scene VIII of Act I.
Olympe was playing  "Sophie", the natural daughter of the Governor de Frémont in a French dependency of India. There was the dialog with her Indian counterpart, the slave Zamor addressing her and Valere, her husband :
"- That's it, unhappy foreigners ! You have no hope anymore. A wave has engulfed the rest of crew with all your expectations.
Sophie :
- Alas, what are we going to become ?"

At this moment there was a funny metallic noise in the back of the stage, like swords, which disturbed the play.
Olympe turned back at the actor playing Valere who couldn't tell his tirade, and whispered  :
- I didn't write grenadiers and soldiers have to come now. They are only expected in Act III at the end of Scene 4.
But very quickly a real officer was on stage interrupting the play :
- The play is cancelled by order of the King. Get away everybody ! Out quickly !
And his men obliged the public to leave the theater swiftly.
Olympe was alone with those solid armed forces, and tried to complain :
- What's that ? I was assured by your master, the Baron de Breteuil that I was allowed to play tonight.
The "Minister of the house of the King and Paris" gave me his word.
The officer was laughing at her :
- He also told me I'll have a promotion as a commander...two years ago. But I'm still captain.
- You mean he is not trustworthee, is answering Olympe.
The officer took a sealed paper in his pocket :
- This is a "lettre de cachet" against you, Olympe de Gouges ! The Baron de Breteuil gave it to me. And my order is to put you under arrest for trouble against the public order, and lead you to "La Bastille". Don't add sedition to the charges !
Olympe was sweating a lot and she became terribly white :
- La Bastille ?! La Bastille ?!
But some people never get out of it. I don't want to die completely forgotten overthere.
The Officer becoming harder answered :
- You follow me immediately. I have a galant rendez-vous after, and this carry-on has to be finished quickly.

Scene II : In La Bastille with the Governor

Olympe doesn't know it but she will stay in La Bastille only for a few days, because of the happy meeting of...its Governor, the Marquis de Launay. Her ordinary is not bad actually, and the governor has come to see her in person.
He is quite a gentleman, and is asking her :
- If you need something in particular Madam, I can be helpful to you.
Olympe :
- Yes, I want my freedom back !
The Governor :
- You know very well it's not depending on me, my dear. I was talking about your daily conveniences of course. Do you need a maid for instance ?
Olympe :
- I didn't know I could have one in this jail...well in those "fortified apartments" as I discovered them. But Yes, that will give me a company.

The Governor intends to get out of her room, but he suddenly turns back to her. Something is puzzling him about the so-called order of the King. He doesn't want to commit the mistake of 1778 with him.

Olympe :
- Have you forgotten something Governor ?
The Governor De Launay :
- Well, it's strange you are here by order of the King because of your play against slavery.
Olympe :
- Why that ?
De Launay :
- Recently I was in the Court of Versailles, and I heard clearly our good King who suppressed torture, six years ago already, condemning slavery as something non-Christian. So I doubt it's him who decided to send you here.
Olympe :
- Really !
De Launay :
- Madam, I can't promise you anything, but I'll try something to help you. Since D'Artagnan, the famous gascon musketteer, we have got two ways to get in touch with the King, either the Minister in charge of Police (but that's Breteuil), or a messenger we can send exceptionally to the "black" cabinet of Versailles.
Olympe :
- I see, so you want to get in touch directly and discretely with the King through his secret cabinet.
De Launay :
- Yes, I'll send my messenger tomorrow. So have a good night Madam !

Scene III : In  the "black cabinet" of  the King in Versailles

The messenger :
- I have got a special message for your Majesty. My master, the Governor of La Bastille is reporting you he is looking after the new prisoner.
The King, surprised :
- Which prisoner ?!
The messenger :
- The foolish actress known under the name of Olympe de Gouges who made a play criticizing slavery and hurting overseas colonists.
The King :
- What ! I never gave such an order. And she is not a fool to me to condemn slavery. It's a plague of mankind since so long. I can see the bad intervention of Breteuil in this, again! I am the King of France and he is just a "parvenu" in the good graces of my wife. Who does he thinks he is ?
The messenger :
- Which answer should I give to the Marquis De Launay then your Majesty ?
The King :
- I am writing the order cancelling the "lettre de cachet" used by the Minister of my House and Paris. So, your master has to free her immediately when you will give it to him.
The messenger :
- At your orders, your good Majesty !
The King :
- If Breteuil attemps again to send her back to La Bastille, he must ignore the order and report to me, as I wrote in this royal letter.


Scene IV : In La Bastille again

The messenger to the Governor :
- Mylord, the King gave me this letter cancelling the "lettre de cachet" against "Madame Olympe de Gouges".
He said she has to be freed immediately, and not to listen anymore the Baron de Breteuil about her.
The Governor :
- Well, well, well ! It would have been a very short stay then.
I am going to announce the good news to her. Prepare my horse drawn coach for her to go where she will ask you in Paris, Pierre.

De Launay is going to the the apartments of Olympe. She is with her new maid, Mary. They are talking joyfully about dressing and curling hair.
- Madam, I am sorry for this intrusion, but I have an urgent message for you. You have to leave La Bastille by order of the King.
Olympe :
- I don't want to go to the Chatelet jail, it's awful overthere.
The Governor :
- Certainly not, Madam ! You are free and my coach is ready for you to give you a lift anywhere you like in Paris.
Olympe :
- Wow ! Long live to our gracious King Louis XVI ! He is really a very fair sovereign.
May I ask you something, Mister Governor, if it's not abusing your efficient goodness with my person ?
De Launay :
- What else can I do for you dear Madam I'm starting to miss already ?
Olympe :
- First close your eyes, and let me do.

He is closing the eyes and she gives him a kiss on the cheek as a reward for his help. The Governor is quite pleased and listen to what she wants to ask him.

Olympe :
- I'd like to meet the King to give him my regards for the consideration he granted onto me, Marquis. Do you think it's possible your messenger would ask him such a meeting ?
De Launay :
- I don't know but we'll try. After all the King defended your personality in front of him if I understood what he reported to me. In that case, I'll send him to the "black cabinet" of Versailles tomorrow again. Let's meet by two days at midday in the garden of Palais Royal. I shall tell you the answer I received.

Scene V : In the garden of Palais Royal near La Comédie Française

Olympe is waiting for the Governor De Launay. She is thinking of La Bastille she just left. She was amazed to discover it was a luxury jail for just a few nobles or clergymen. Arrested under the name of the King of France and being freed quickly by order of the same King : what a strange happening ! It could make a good subject for a play.
The Governor de Launay arrived at midday as promised. He was smiling when he kissed her hand.
- I have a very good news for your Madam. The King Louis XVI is accepting to give you an interview the day after tomorrow, in his "black cabinet" of Versailles for discretion.
Olympe :
- Oh, you are great, Mister De Launay, really great. I am pleased there are still gentlemen like you in Paris.
The Governor :
- Thank you, Madam. It's so rare for me to meet a clever woman of your quality, and so beautiful and spontaneous above that. I'm really going to miss you a lot when I'll be back in my fortress alone.
I'll be sad not having to see your pretty face anymore, but in another way I'll be equalilly happy for you.
Olympe :
- You are a good hearted man, Mister De Launay, and I'm sure your wife realized she is rich of that.
The Governor :
- And you, you are really a passionate woman of the South West of France, Madam.
Be here at 7 in the morning by two days, and my coach will take you to the King in Versailles !


Olympe as a good woman of Gascony couldnt help giving him again a kiss on the cheeks, before parting. And De Launay was quite proud of it.

Scene VI : the sweet meeting of the King


The meeting of Olympe and the King in this secret room, called "the black cabinet" in Versailles, was not really ordinary. She kneeled in from of him and kissed his right hand ring.

The King :
- Stand up, Madam ! I'm pleased you are free by now. I warned Breteuil not to abuse of "lettres de cachet".
Olympe :
- You are far taller and far more impressive than what I thought, your Majesty. It's so surprising !
The King :
- You shouldn't trust caricatures. You for instance, you are not either the fool playwright Breteuil and even some people at "La Comédie Française" are describing, with an obvious jealousy and malevolence.
Olympe :
- I didn't know the King of France himself was interested in my writings, your Majesty.
It's quite a nice shocking revelation for me that you believe in my talent, especially about slavery.
The King :
- I am thinking about abolishing slavery in the French overseas empire, but the party of colonists is very strong and influent at the court, not to mention the one of Breteuil. So I have to choose the right timing for my announcement, because the last one cancelling "the question" (i.e. torture) in 1779, was a cause of terrible criticisms, and bad reactions from the Parliament of Paris.
Olympe :
- I realize now it's a difficult task to be King. You must feel lonely sometimes, your Majesty ?
Louis :
- Oh yes. And I have the feeling nobody really cares about me.
Olympe :
- We could be friends, if it's not too impolite to suggest you, your Majesty ?
Louis :
- I'd like to have a real friend in my life, but it could be only here, Madam, in my "black cabinet."
Olympe :
- Well, I don't mind as long as you accept my presence, Majesty...Louis !

When she left him, her eyes were sparkling and he saw it. He started to be amazed and more and more interested in this beautiful woman.

She kneeled again and kissed his right hand ring, but when he helped her to stand up, she took the risk to suddenly give him a tender kiss on the ckeeks...and on the lips ! Louis went red.

Olympe :
- I have to admit I am already in love with you, your Majesty. What you did for me, your actions for the kingdom and your character also are so chivalresque ! You are the way I'm seeing a fair and noble King...and ideal man !
Louis XVI, who was for the first time in his life such a situation :
- Do not worry, Madam, I am not angry after you because you kissed me lovingly and by surprise.
You are the first woman to behave so spontaneously with me. And it's terribly new and so refreshing also.

They were nicely smiling at each other, and Louis added :
- Farewell to you, Madam. Normally I wouldn't say so, but keep your natural. It's unusual for me but quite agreable actually. I discovered today a rare new flavor in my heavy life of King. May be we will see each other again here, Olympe !...

                                                                              (to be followed)

No comments:

Post a Comment